Skiing is a beloved sport around the world, with many avid skiers hitting the slopes every winter. However, with limited skiing options in South Africa, many locals choose to travel abroad to enjoy the best ski holidays and to discover the best ski resorts on offer. We’ve answered a few of your most common questions around ski holidays from South Africa.
Where do South Africans go skiing?
South Africans typically travel to Europe or North America for their ski holidays. Popular destinations include France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Canada, and the United States. Club Med offers all-inclusive ski packages to several of these destinations, including France and Italy.
What month is best for a skiing holiday?
The best time for a skiing holiday depends on the destination. In Europe, the ski season typically runs from December to April, with January and February being the busiest months. In North America, the ski season can start as early as November and run through April. The best time to go skiing is usually in February and March when there is plenty of snow and longer days. Snowfall ranges during these months, but most resorts will complement their early or late snowfall with snowmakers to ensure a quality experience for all visitors.
Where is the best place to ski in the world?
The best place to ski in the world depends on individual preferences, but some of the most popular destinations include:
- Whistler Blackcomb, Canada: Known for its massive ski area and incredible off-piste skiing.
- Chamonix, France: Famous for its challenging runs and stunning views of Mont Blanc.
- St. Anton, Austria: Known for its lively après-ski scene and challenging ski terrain.
- Niseko, Japan: Famous for its powder snow and incredible backcountry skiing.
- Aspen Snowmass, United States: A top destination for luxury ski holidays with plenty of slopes for all levels.
- Zermatt, Switzerland: Home to the iconic Matterhorn and a range of skiing options for all levels.
How many days is ideal for a ski trip?
The ideal length of a ski trip depends on several factors, including the destination, budget, and personal preferences. However, a typical ski trip is around 7-10 days, with many skiers opting for a week-long trip. This allows for plenty of time on the slopes and the opportunity to explore the local area and enjoy après-ski activities.
For those looking for an all-inclusive ski holiday, Club Med offers some of the best ski packages in Europe, with their top ski resorts being based in France and Italy. Here are some of the top resorts to consider for your next ski holiday:
- Val d’Isère, France: Known for its challenging runs and incredible off-piste skiing, Val d’Isère is a must-visit destination for advanced skiers. With over 300 kilometers of slopes and plenty of après-ski activities, there’s something for everyone in this resort.
- Val Thorens, France: As the highest ski resort in Europe, Val Thorens offers unparalleled views and skiing opportunities. With over 600 kilometers of slopes and a range of off-piste skiing options, this resort is perfect for advanced skiers.
- Pragelato Sestriere, Italy: Located in the heart of the Italian Alps, Pragelato Sestriere offers a range of skiing options for skiers of all levels. From beginner-friendly slopes to challenging black runs, this resort has it all.
- La Rosière, France: With a range of skiing options and a family-friendly atmosphere, La Rosière is a popular destination for families and beginner skiers. The resort also offers a range of après-ski activities, including ice-skating and snowshoeing.
- Les Arcs Panorama, France: Known for its stunning views and luxurious accommodations, Les Arcs Panorama is the perfect destination for skiers looking for a high-end ski holiday. With over 400 kilometers of slopes and access to the Paradiski area, there’s plenty of skiing to be done in this resort.
- Grand Massif Samoëns Morillon, France: Located just an hour from Geneva, Grand Massif Samoëns Morillon offers easy access to some of the best skiing in the French Alps. With over 265 kilometers of slopes and plenty of off-piste skiing opportunities, this resort is perfect for intermediate and advanced skiers.
- Peisey-Vallandry, France: Nestled in the heart of the Paradiski area, Peisey-Vallandry offers a range of skiing options for all levels. With access to over 425 kilometers of slopes and plenty of après-ski activities, this resort is perfect for families and groups.
Club Med offers all-inclusive ski packages that include accommodations, lift passes, ski lessons, and all meals and drinks. With resorts located in some of the best ski destinations in France and Italy, Club Med is the perfect choice for South Africans looking for a hassle-free and unforgettable ski holiday. Browse our ski holiday packages now for the 2023/2024 season.